Negotiating with the "Dansk Liga Blood Bowl"

Started by bodyschlompf, January 22, 2011, 05:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodyschlompf

Important message!

I'm currently conducting negotiations with a league called "Bloody Fists Grand Slam". The league is organized through a Facebook page called "Dansk Liga Blood Bowl". It has currently 35 members and 24 coaches are participating in their current season. Their season will end at the same time as ours, and the spread of TV amongst their teams is similar (slightly less then ours).

I'm hoping for a full merger here: With a feeder div up, we'll be 22 this season. Combined with B.F.G.S, we would be 46 coaches.

I'm telling you this: In my opinion, the outcome of these negations will probably be decisive for the future of both BFGS and NUL. If we could agree on a merger, the two leagues will have much higher chances of surviving long term. For this reason, I will be prepare to sacrifice a lot of what we know as NUL. My guess is that the special house features is the most likely thing to be sacrificed. It would feel bad, of course, but I think that it's worth it. The coaches at "Dansk Liga Blood Bowl" is fairly positive for this idea, so a merger is actually possible.

These negotiations take a lot of my time, so you may experience a small loss of activity on these boards from me.

Feel free to comment on this, if you have any opinions. I'll post as soon as i have anything more to say in this matter.

Best regards,

/bodyschlompf

Pidpad

All for it, but I'll stubbornly refuse to use Facebook for anything.
That's my one reservation and one that I'll keep myself to, obviously it's better to gain 24 coaches for the loss of one, so don't let that hinder you in the negotiations :)

Mr B

Quote from: Pidpad on January 22, 2011, 06:11:36 PM
All for it, but I'll stubbornly refuse to use Facebook for anything.

Same here!
/B

Firebringer

If you believe the survival of NUL lies in a merger then I am for it.

bodyschlompf

QuoteAll for it, but I'll stubbornly refuse to use Facebook for anything.

Well, the Danes want to use their Facebook group, but this is no problem. We need only the players that qualifies for the Valhalla Cup to come here. The rest can conduct their business there as usual. In the event that you have to merge the Danish national series with the Swedish, however, we'll have to choose (likely to happen during summer). Hopefully I can convince them to come here in that case.

Flying Circus

I know you where speaking about this before and I think it sounds great, go with the flow Body and make what you think will be the best for the league.

johoohno

Firebringer

QuoteWell, the Danes want to use their Facebook group, but this is no problem. We need only the players that qualifies for the Valhalla Cup to come here. The rest can conduct their business there as usual. In the event that you have to merge the Danish national series with the Swedish, however, we'll have to choose (likely to happen during summer). Hopefully I can convince them to come here in that case.

Ah so there will be several seasons of NUL before the possible merge with the Danish league takes place?

bodyschlompf

Quote from: Firebringer on January 23, 2011, 06:31:42 AM
QuoteWell, the Danes want to use their Facebook group, but this is no problem. We need only the players that qualifies for the Valhalla Cup to come here. The rest can conduct their business there as usual. In the event that you have to merge the Danish national series with the Swedish, however, we'll have to choose (likely to happen during summer). Hopefully I can convince them to come here in that case.

Ah so there will be several seasons of NUL before the possible merge with the Danish league takes place?

Maybe... Maybe not. I want to convince them to all come here. And it's not all unlikely that I succeed with that.

I've joined their Facebook group and there's currently a big discussion about structure. We have some differences, but I hope we can eliminate those soon.

mooonuel

More the merrier as far as im concerned but then am neither danish/swedish and just looking for people who play good blood bowl.  ;D

bodyschlompf

*sigh*

Well, that was the 2nd and last time I tried to get a merger happening: Sadly, it seems as negotiations has broken down. At first it looked promising, but then we got stuck in the good ol' "my way or no way": The commish for Dansk Liga Blood Bowl "Schiller" insisted that we should use exactly that structure he uses now: All players in one big grand slam. And by one big, I mean one league in the in-game client. Anyone with experience with the client knows that if you want the whole league seeded into one league in the client, you basically HAVE TO be a certain numbers of coaches, otherwise you cannot start the season (and it is likely that you are forced to seed everyone in ONE division). "Schiller" thought that you just could wait until you are good number before you start the season. I think that's a bad idea to be honest. We both agreed however that one big grand slam with 45+ just wouldn't be practical: You either end up with long championship-phases (9+ weeks) or long playoffs ( 3- 4 weeks or so) that would mean that coaches who didn't make it to the PO would have to wait for a long time. But as he insisted that one big grand slam it had to be, then i felt i couldn't go any further. To bad.

Maybe you guys are of another opinion, and think that one big league in the client, and long seasons, are a good thing. If you you think so, i could try and go further. But as far as I'm concerned, well, I don't think that it would work out.
Darn. An additional 24 coaches would be a lifeline, both for D.L.B.B and NUL. Bt if it has to be like this then... Guess we are better of as we are now...

Flying Circus

Ooooo thats a shame to hear but since it comes up already it is better it happens now and hopefully this league will grow. I already see coaches signing up and has there been any real launch of the site? like on cyanides forum for example? 

Pidpad

Det går faktiskt att styra grand slams rätt bra.
Man kan välja hur många lag som går till slutspel och man kan välja hur stora (och vilka) som ska vara i en division.

Dock så bör antalet coacher vara jämnt delbart med 4 om man ska pyssla med slutspel alls.

Är väl sådär övertygad om att en enda grand slam är en bra lösning. Snarare så att den begränsar de flesta options man har.

I don't mind semi-long seasons (I personally feel that 5 games per season is on the short side) but doing what we did with alvsvenskan, try 2, isn't something I'd do again (21 match season).

bodyschlompf

Well, to be precise. Dansk Blood Bowl Liga's competition Bloody Fists Grand Slam is practically a Cup (the just call it grand slam for some reason). They seed the divisions according to TV, and don't make any promotions/relegations between the div between the seasons. So it's practically one big cup.

I don't know... A merger would be nice... But seriously... ONE league in the league client? Combined we would be 45 coaches... The closest number we had to be is 46, which is close, but then there most probably will be some dropouts (exactly everyone won't go for a merger). So in effect we simply just had to wait with starting a season until we are a a good number. That's whats concerns me. You cannot control how many people that are interested in participating, if you are lucky, you gain that number pretty quickly, but if you don't, here's my fears: People would start getting restless and leave. And people that leaves a league generally don't tell you that, they just vanish. So if the process of seeding/applying to the league drags out on time, you could get a real mess.

One Grand Slam with 46 coaches can have the shortest season of 8 weeks (8 divisions, 6 teams each, 3 weeks PO). Which is good i think. It could also be 2 divisions 12 teams each giving a minimum season of 12 weeks ( a bit to long IMO). If you want to grow beyond 48, that would be unlikely, next proper number is 64... I don't know what to make of it to be honest... 5 week season as most of us have here is to short, I admit that. My aim is to build divisions consisting of 8 teams underneath Valhalla Cup, cause i think 7 week seasons would be optimum. Still, I'm not 100% with everything so if I hear more voices for i merger i could go for it...

Elake

I agree that 5 matches are too few, but too many teams, with a season going on forever, isn't something good either (and bigger chance for dropouts mid-season). I don't care much if we merge or not, as long as the quality is good with dedicated coaches who enjoy being part of a league.
But sure, the more teams the more fun. As long as we keep it Scandinavian!