Match Day 6 - Matches

Started by J-Reedy, October 01, 2012, 04:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luiggi

Yeah, it was a tactical and interesting game, I'd rather see games like this one than a steamroll of casualties and KO's (which, by the way, kinda happened today... thank god you only had one mighty blower that spent half his turns mesmerized in his "thoughts"). I guess it was the MVP to a dead man which hurts the most... at least Nuffle could have given me a break and let that blitzer skill-up with the last pass :D

tags

Quote from: Luiggi on October 04, 2012, 09:41:24 PM
I should have gone for the 3+ 4+ 2+ play, though... You were right, TGA :P

Of course you should have! That's 55.56% with an RR available. I go for those all the time, which is probably why I'm leading both the graveyard and the punching bag categories, but at it's damned fun when they work out :D

The Golden Arrow

Quote from: kvasilad on October 04, 2012, 11:48:47 PM
Quote from: Luiggi on October 04, 2012, 09:41:24 PM
I should have gone for the 3+ 4+ 2+ play, though... You were right, TGA :P

Of course you should have! That's

55.56% with an RR available. I go for those all the time, which is probably why I'm leading both the graveyard and the punching bag categories, but at it's damned fun when they work out :D

He didn't (though he had catch to reroll the 4+). Both of us burnt the rerolls early which made it "interesting" when it rained the whole game.

Gurgeh

Shall we try to play today at 20:00, Mr B?

Mr B

Hi, that will be tight, trying to get the little one to bed now.. shall we say 20:30?

hakos

So, the derby match between Getingarna and Vinterlegionen is played. It was a very intensive and frustrating match, probably for both of us but less so for Gnaarkill since he managed to score the winning TD as the absolute last thing that happened in the match.

I don't have the will for a long match report so here is the short version.

Vinterlegionen starts the offensive, the ball is kicked quite far into his half and I try to move in and stop him from forming a cage, which succeds, but he throws the ball far into my half and suddenly I'm very out of position. Luckily he does'nt catch it so I have some minimal chance and then he fails the simle pick up he need to make the TD the game is on again. Neither of us managed to get hold of the ball for more than one turn. It looks like hawaii football and nothing organized at all. Both of us were quite unlucky with the dices during the first half. He got a lot of double skulls, failed the critical ball pick up and got some both down with his new yeti. I managed about 5 bone head or loner with ogre and so on. All 7 RR are gone after turn 4.

Second turn, I scope up the ball and forms a loose cage. Gnaarkill tries to reach my ball keeper but fails, early, and I can get a break through. Looks like an easy TD next turn, I think. Little did I know that the luck will be more one sided from now on...

From next turn Gnaarkill succeeds with everything for every turn forward, except to knock loose the ball. But since every block for him ends with me lying down and every block for me ends with a push I can't do much. Despite this, due to some lucky bounces with the ball I am in a position to make a TD in t12 but I managed to misclick and move one player one square to much and the road to the end zone is suddenly closed. All I needed was one dodge (regular) and one gfi with a rr available. Well, well, I would probably not have suceeded anyway. At the end I make a desperate throw (instead of facing at least 6 possible blocks against my ball keeper) and the ball is finally loose, Gnaarkill moves in with Gunnar, his expert thrower, throws it over more than half the pitch, fails to catch it but can pick it up with his runner next turn and then in t16 score.

My next opponent will be happy to note that the ogre will rest for one match after a very dauntless attack on him.

/hakos

J-Reedy

Excerpt from Blood Bowl Gazette vol 534 issue 15, p. 22-23:

NUL match week 6 recap by Fagronkey Nagrumbundyme.

Results from the week 6:

Welcome ya'all to recap of week 6 games of Norsca Union League! With sixth week - which by the way proved to be extremely violen -behind us two thirds of the regular season is done and there are only 3 games left. So in addition to recap we'll also be speculating about the playoff race!

Let's start from the top, the only team that has mathematically certain place in the play-offs is the Khemri Drop Dead Gorgeus. They've racked up 16 points and the latest 3 of those came their 0-1 win over the high-elf White Fire this week. The Khemri dominated the knock-outs but the casualties went one a piece and the casualty that the Khemri suffered proved to be re-fatal as they lost a skeleton Khojupet Heror. Looking at the stats ball handling was kept to minimum in this game. As to White Fire's playoff chances, they currently hold the last place with 4 points but as there are three teams above the high elf that are only one win away in points, nothing has been decided yet. Key matchup for the high-elfs could be their week 8 match against the Chaotic Dudes.

The current second spot of the NUL has been claimed with 13 points and the team holding the second position are the amazon Cougar Kittens. They can also be secure about their playoff berth althought they still need 1 point to make it absolutely certain. This week the Cougar Kittens took home a 2-0 win from the Chaotic Dudes. This proved to be the most violent match of the week, casualties were split 3-4 in favor of the chaos side and in addition, both teams lost one player to the Grim Reaper. The Dudes' casualty was their chaos warrior Max Myyr Shaarks while the Kittens lost their linegal Scarlett. The Dudes will also be missing one of their beastmen this week. The Chaotic Dudes currently hold the 8th spot that is the coveted last playoff spot. Their point total is 6 so they'll have to on their toes in order to keep the spot. As mentioned, in week 8 the Dudes will be playing against the White Fire that are only 2 points behind the chaos team.

Moving on, the undead Material Ghouls are currently ranked on the third place but there are three other teams that have the same amount of points - 8 - that is needed for securing the third spot. These teams are (in order of standings rank) the Nurgle Sweet Sweet Decay, the wood-elf Partly Animals and the pro-elf Elfy way. One of the reasons for this stalemate of a situation is the week 6 match between the Material Ghouls and Partly Animals. The teams couldn't decide which one was the better one, so the game ended in a 1-1 draw. Undead dominated the physical play scoring 3 casualties and 5 KOs. The elf surprisingly almost matched the undead in casualties by scoring 2 of them but the lack of KOs was alarming. Partly Animals also lost another of their players bringing up their death count of the season to 4. They'll also miss their lineman Ali Gator this week so the undead hitting was really efficient. The Material Ghouls didn't however escape unscythed, they'll be missing their rookie ghoul Pennyful Lowpass this week. Pennyful played with the same number as Marilyn Moredough who suffered a career-ending injury in the MG's match agains the Cougar Kittens so there have been rumours of the number 7 jersey of the undead team being cursed.

As to the two remaining 8 point teams, they also played against each other week 6. The Nurgle side Sweet Sweet Decay hosted the pro-elf side Elfy Way and neither of teams proved to better. In scoring that is. The match ended 0-0 but SSD really showed which one of the teams was the physically dominating side. Elfs lost the casualty race 1 to 4 and one of the elf casualties was their thrower who also got the MVP honour of the  match, probably because of the entertaining way of his demise. The one casualty that the Elfy Way got keeps the SSD pestigor Ghaar'gors away from week 7 games and will likely also cause some niggling problems. There's a high likelyhood that some of these 8 points teams will remain tied after week 7 as none of the four teams play against each other. The Partly Animals will host the Cougar Kittens and the Elfy Way get a visit from the Chaotic Dudes while the Material Ghouls travel to the lands of Khemri and the Sweet Sweet Decay to far north to play the norse side Vinterlegionen.

Speaking of the Vinterlegionen, they played against the human team Getingarna and scored a 0-1 win. Most notably the Vinterlegionen also managed to injure the Getingarna ogre Mar Skin-Tearer so seriously that he (or is he or she, nobody knows because nobody dares to ask him/her) that he'll miss the Getingarna week 7 match. In the standings the Vinterlegionen hold the 9th place but are tied in points with the 10th place White Fire. Vinterlegionen won't play any of their closest rivals so they'll have to earn the play-off spot hard way. Getingarna are currently at the 7th place with 7 points. They have an important matchup this week as they go against White Fire. A win from this week could give the human side a more secure playoff berth.

All in the all the playoff race is still going strong and week 6 proved to the most violent week of NUL this season. 4 deaths and a number of serious injuries remind all of us why we should love this game and this league! Remember to pick up your copy of the Blood Bowl Gazette also next week so that you get the latest news from week 7 of NUL!

Standings after week 6:

Barmution

Two thumbs up on the writeup as usual, J!

...not looking forward to meeting those undefeatable Khemri  :o
-Barm
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.