Match Day 8 - Matches

Started by J-Reedy, October 14, 2012, 05:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hakos

One more match played and the clock is 00:40 my time, time too sleep.

Kvasilad will probably try to forget this match as quickly as possible. He was really unlucky with the dices the entire match.

ME   HIM
TD:  4     0
BH:  3     1
KO:  Lots Almost none

And I will level two blitzers plus my guard lineman while Kvasilad got a permanent niggling injury.

Time to prepare mentally for a certain (like 99% certain) defeat against Bantha in the final round...

tags

Yup, that's definitely one match I'll try to forget ever happened. I hope I didn't whine too much in the chat, at least I tried to restrain myself a bit, but that first half felt like the worst nuffling I've ever received in my Blood Bowl career.

I don't really remember all the details by now, but I do remember two events in two consecutive turns more than anything else (this was still at 0-0):
- Wardancer with strip ball throws a 1d block at carrier, who has no block or dodge. Skull -> RR - > skull.
- The other wardancer with tackle throws a 1d block at same carrier. Skull. (can't remember if that was actually RR'ed to skull or if I was forced to use my RR on leap. Either way, not a fun turn of events)

Other than that, quite a few 1's on dodges and whatnot, and I don't think hakos had to spend a single team RR in the first half despite several passes, pick-ups and of course a multitude of blocks.

The second half, I lined up my offensive formation to the right flank, avoiding 2/3 of his linemen and his ogre. The kick-off, of course, lands on the line of scrimmage inside all his three tackle zones. Yay. My treeman, trying to resolve the situation, promptly falls over.

After that, I guess the dice weren't spectacular either way, I was just too frustrated and out of it to be able to focus properly, and got two more TD's against probably more from a combination of extremely risky play and trying to catch up fast than bad luck. I also failed to use my wizard effectively, and ended up just downing one guy with a fireball without really gaining me a lot. Hakos did well with his positioning throughout the game, perhaps especially in that regard.

The only consolation is that I amazingly didn't suffer more permanent damage than a niggle on a lvl 2 lino. Compared to the sheer amount of elves in harm's way throughout, that must be considered quite lucky.

Barmution

Quote from: hakos on October 17, 2012, 06:43:45 PM
Time to prepare mentally for a certain (like 99% certain) defeat against Bantha in the final round...
Bantha's not unbeatable! You just have to *cough* luck out a bit  ::)

@kvasilad:
Ouch. Well, statistically your next nuffling of that degree should be some time away. Good thing most of your players are still intact.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Gurgeh

Quote from: Lars on October 17, 2012, 12:00:38 AM
Quote from: Gurgeh on October 16, 2012, 09:48:32 PM
Quote from: Lars on October 15, 2012, 09:31:44 AM
Gurgeh when are you abel to play?

I can play Thursday 18:00-22:00 Gmt+2
               Saturday Whole day
               Sunday Whole day

/Lars

Let's try thursday. Start at 20:00?

Sounds good cya there

Apparently there is a new update to the program. I will not have it completely downloaded by 20:00, so I will probably be a bit late.

Lars

Quote from: Gurgeh on October 18, 2012, 07:50:57 PM
Quote from: Lars on October 17, 2012, 12:00:38 AM
Quote from: Gurgeh on October 16, 2012, 09:48:32 PM
Quote from: Lars on October 15, 2012, 09:31:44 AM
Gurgeh when are you abel to play?

I can play Thursday 18:00-22:00 Gmt+2
               Saturday Whole day
               Sunday Whole day

/Lars

Let's try thursday. Start at 20:00?

Sounds good cya there

Apparently there is a new update to the program. I will not have it completely downloaded by 20:00, so I will probably be a bit late.

Okej I had to reboot my computer after installing the patch

Lars

So Gurgeh and I have played our match. Gurgeh had a rough time getting pounded both by me and nuffle.
The match ended 2-0 for the chatoic dudes and during the match 5 elf players had visited the KO box and 6 went in the CAS box.

/Lars

hakos

Is there any nice moderator here who can validate the match between Getingarna and The Partly Animals?

J-Reedy

Quote from: hakos on October 20, 2012, 11:03:07 AM
Is there any nice moderator here who can validate the match between Getingarna and The Partly Animals?

Getingarna vs Partly Animals and White Fire vs Chaotic Dudes matches have been validated now. Sorry that this took so late, I read your post from my mobile but I was in a floorball tournament whole day and only got home couple of hours ago.

Barmution

Logged in and waiting, Golden.

-Barm
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

The Golden Arrow

I'm on now, sorry for being late.

hakos

Quote from: J-Reedy on October 20, 2012, 10:28:40 PM
Quote from: hakos on October 20, 2012, 11:03:07 AM

Getingarna vs Partly Animals and White Fire vs Chaotic Dudes matches have been validated now. Sorry that this took so late, I read your post from my mobile but I was in a floorball tournament whole day and only got home couple of hours ago.

np, just wanted to level my guys, and now it is done

Barmution

Thanks for the match, Golden!

That first half must have been one of the absolutely worst in my entire Blood Bowl career: Nothing, absolutely nothing worked, even when you lost initiative due to that misclick. The only saving grace was my Regen and KO rolls. Second half was much closer and considering you lost 2 key players to the sweltering heat and I none, that's saying something. In the end I was lucky to eke out a 1-1 draw but holy crap... those BBMan stats really don't convey the game. If we meet again in the play-offs I sure as heck hope we don't get heat or those type of dice...

-Barm

The Golden Arrow

Yeah, thanks for the game. It was really wierd with the dice deciding lots of things, but I still had a good time :)

Not sure how a "normal" game would play out, maybe we'll see :P

J-Reedy

Excerpt from Blood Bowl Gazette vol 534 issue 17, p. 14:

NUL match week 8 recap by Fagronkey Nagrumbundyme.

Results from the week 8:

Welcome to recap of week 8 games of NUL! Do you know what we got out of the week 8 games? No? Playoff teams! That's right, week 8 produced the lucky 8 that got through to the playoffs. How did that happen? Well, let me tell you! It seems that the Chaos gods were in very generous moods this week as they decided to grant the Chaotic Dudes' players awesome hitting prowess and also cloud the thoughts of the high-elf team White Fire that were the ones to play the Dudes this week. The White Fire suffered 6 casualties, 5 of which were caused by the chaos side, and also 5 KOs. This naturally led to the Chaotic Dudes earning a 2-0 win which puts them out of the reach of the 9th and 10th place teams in the standings. According to reports the there was a rumor circling before the match that the grass that the match was played on was of that special kind of "grass" that you can also smoke or digest in order to get to a "higher state of being". Nobody knows if this was a true, but the rumor could explain why the White Fire players were so keen to hug the ground and sniff the grass. I mean, I think everybody knows that the high-elfs aren't called high-elfs because of their above average social status...

Of course the Chaotic Dudes victory wasn't enough to guarantee their playoff-spot as the norse Vinterlegionen had a chance to keep the point gap between themselves and the chaos side within 2 points with a win over the pro-elf team Elfy Way. Unfortunately for the norse, the elf proved to be too slippery and the match ended 1-2 in favor of the elfs. Only one casualty was scored, by the blitzer Rimner who hurt the elf receiver Quique badly but not badly enough to cause him any permanent damage. Interestingly both team inflicted the same amount of knock-downs but neither really managed to cause any damage to the opposing side. Same can't be said about another match where both teams had a same amount of knocked-downs. Both the Cougar Kittens and the Drop Dead Gorgeous managed to knock opposing a player from the opposing team down 12 times. However, the amazon team only managed to KO 2 Khemri players and injure 1 while the Khemri scored 3 KOs, 2 casualties and 1 dead! And as most of this efficient undead hitting was done during the second half and the amazon star runner Lana Kreukk was struck and knocked out by a lightning bolt at about the same time, there were actually only 4 amazon wenches were on the field against 10 of the Khemri at the end of the second half. So it shouldn't be surprising that the match ended 1-0 for the DDG.

The win by the DDG secures them the 1st place in the standings with the point total of 19 points. The 2nd place is still open, the two teams with the 14 points claim to the spot are the Elfy Way and the Cougar Kittens. Also running for the second spot are the human side Getingarna who rose to the 4th spot and to 13 points with a convincing 4-0 victory over the wood-elf team The Partly Animals. Surprisingly the elfs were hampered by the performances of their wardancers who usually can be trusted to lay down the law to opposing ball-carriers. However, in this match the dancers just laid down. Getingarna dominated the physical play, knocking down 18 elfs and injuring three of them while the elfs managed to get only 4 knock-downs against the human side. Looking at these numbers The Partly Animals were actually lucky to get away with only one serious injury that'll keep the line-elf Blood Owl out of commission from the final week of the regular season.

Two more teams are still playing for the 2nd seed, those are the 12 points teams Material Ghouls and Sweet Sweet Decay. These teams were tied in points also last week and they didn't manage to break the tie even though they played against each other. 1-1 draw, casualties 2-1 for the Nurgle team Sweet Sweet Decay. The plot for the matchup seemed be that the SSD players would knock the undead down and out time after time but the undead would keep getting up time after time. Match was played in a sweltering heat which naturally favoured the undead, as SSD lost some their Nurgle beast and one of their warriors to the heat at the start of the second half which gave the Material Ghouls' mummies strength advantage. But the SSD managed to put strong pressure on the undead ball-carrier despite their dwindled numbers and actually managed to take the ball from the undead's cold dead hands once. The Material Ghoul's were however saved by their star ghoul Imelda Marrowkiss who scored the tying TD at the end of the second half.

So, we're heading into final week of the regular season with the playoff race almost decided. All that we need now is the final order of the playoff seedings. As mentioned, Drop Dead Gorgeous will take the 1st spot and thus they'll play the 8th seed. There are four teams that could end up in the 8th place: Material Ghouls, Sweet Sweet Decay, Chaotic dudes and The Partly animals. What's the interesting bit, is that these four teams will be playing against each other week 9! The Partly Animals host the Sweet Sweet Decay and the Chaotic Dudes host the Material Ghouls. If both The Partly Animals and the Chaotic dudes manage to win their opponents, we'll have all the four teams with 12 points and we'll have to take a look at the TD differentials to decide the seedings from the 5th to 8th!

Just to remind everyone, the two teams playing with a chance of dropping down to 8th place – Material Ghouls and Sweet Sweet Decay – are also in the race for the 2nd place. So the season has truly been very even and we should get very exciting last week! The teams in the 9th and 10th place – the Vinterlegionen and White Fire – are also tied at 4 points so I'm sure they'll be playing hard for their honor this week! They'll be doing this in all-elf and all-human matchups as the White Fire will visit their elven brothers Elfy Way and the Vinterlegionen will travel to Lustria to play the amazon Cougar Kittens. As mentioned, Kittens and Elfy Way are playing for the 2nd seed so they'll be sure to bring their A game. As will undoubtedly the the Getingarna who'll have a chance of giving the Drop Dead Gorgeus a reminder of their mortality just before the playoffs.
Lot's to play for in week 9! Pick up your copy of Blood Bowl Gazette also next to week to see the results and prepare for the playoffs!

Standings after week 8:

Barmution

Great write-up and exciting times ahead in MD9 to be sure!

-Barm