Season 9 starting here - sign up!

Started by J-Reedy, October 21, 2012, 06:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Reedy

Quote from: hakos on October 22, 2012, 03:17:29 PM
By the way, what would be the best team to play if I want to improve my positioning skills?

Any slow team will do. With slow teams you really have to think you're positioning so that you don't get fooled onto wrong side of the field. So undeads & dwarfs would come to mind first. Necromantics might the easiest for a starter as the werewolfs can help you out of some out-positioning situations. Undead have ghouls with above-average movement but not the hitting power of the wolfs. Dwarfs have... lots of slow and short buggers so you truly have to master the positioning. But on the other hand their toughness makes them a good team for the long run and their tackling helps against dodgers (please don't take the dwarfs if I'll continue with the amazons  :-X)

The Golden Arrow

Dwarves are quite forgiving due to their resiliance and all round guard though. One team I would advice is Lizardmen, sure you have skinks with stunty/dodge/spd 8, but the saurus are ag 1 so won't be dodging anywhere and you have to position your guys to protect the skinks from evil enemy models, which means that you have to think about how you position your guys several turns ahead or you might end up with the enemy team mulching down skinks while the saurus are tied up trying to fight your fodder.

Also Khemri are a very good team for training positioning. With the str 5 players you you can have a very good control game, but things can also go downhill very fast if you don't position your guys right or if you overextend your team (also arm 7 skeletons die, alot). An ag 2 ballcarrier also pose some completely new challenges as you don't want enemies to tag him and you can't really pass the ball or pick up a dropped ball.

Barmution

Quote from: The Golden Arrow on October 25, 2012, 11:11:46 AM
Well not many early teams can stand up to four STR 5 players, later teams will get skills that let them go over or round them depending on the team. The only team that is a straight up nightmare for early khemri to face are amasons as they can dodge away from the TG and you can't knock them down with ny tackle and very limited block.
Part of my point is that you don't have to stand up to them, it's fine to be knocked down as long as you can stand up and get back into contact or screening them off ;) An unskilled 2D block has only 50/50 to get you (exclusively) down and 1/9 to cause a turnover, so as long as the TGs doesn't have MB you are in little danger by tying them up and targeting Throw-Ras or Blitz-Ras. As I said, YMMV due to luck at block dice and arm/inj rolls, but I still maintain that rookie Khemri are relatively easy to defend against.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Barmution

Quote from: The Golden Arrow on October 25, 2012, 11:49:20 AM
Dwarves are quite forgiving due to their resiliance and all round guard though. One team I would advice is Lizardmen, sure you have skinks with stunty/dodge/spd 8, but the saurus are ag 1 so won't be dodging anywhere and you have to position your guys to protect the skinks from evil enemy models, which means that you have to think about how you position your guys several turns ahead or you might end up with the enemy team mulching down skinks while the saurus are tied up trying to fight your fodder.

Also Khemri are a very good team for training positioning. With the str 5 players you you can have a very good control game, but things can also go downhill very fast if you don't position your guys right or if you overextend your team (also arm 7 skeletons die, alot). An ag 2 ballcarrier also pose some completely new challenges as you don't want enemies to tag him and you can't really pass the ball or pick up a dropped ball.
Lizardmen are GREAT for training yourself at positioning. I tend to fail to protect my Skinks a lot, so I probably suck with them ;) Also agreeing that Khemri are mainly a control team, not a bash team. They are a real challenge to play successfully, though. But perhaps the hardest team of all to play due to positioning must be Vampires, due to the Bloodlust. I know that mr. B is quite the champ at Vamps, so him being successful at Khemri really doesn't come as a surprise. ;D
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Mr B

It all depends on your playing style and what your up against.

Orc's are very stable and all round, humans is a good team trying out the different skills and such.
Vampires are fun fun  ;D but I'm playing them in another league so dodging them in here.

But every team has it's own strengths and weakness, the beauty of the game.

hakos

Lots of interesting answers to my questions, thank you.

So far I have only played amazons (my first team, went quite ok), norse (failed big time, was not ready to handle such a complex team with all the frenzy and other strange skills) and now Getingarna (starting to get a grip of the humans now, but it was a struggle in the beginning for me).

Maybe it is time to branch out from the middle/average/human based teams and go for some more extreme teams.

Lizardmen, Undead and Necromantic have always been high on my list of teams I want to play, so maybe I should try one of them now.

Khemri and Vampires feel completely out of my league. I have never relly liked the dwarves, they seem so sloooow. But maybe that is just what I need.

Options, options, so hard to decide. But hey, that's one of the really interesting parts of this game. :)

/hakos

hakos

Just realized that I maybe should add that I will be back in Sweden dec 10.

So the first 1 or 2 matches of season 9 for me might still have to consider the time zone differences, but after that it should be back to normal for me.

/hakos