S14 - Match Day 1

Started by J-Reedy, December 15, 2013, 01:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hakos

Quote from: kvasilad on December 18, 2013, 03:51:51 PM
Quote from: hakos on December 18, 2013, 10:33:57 AM
Quote from: kvasilad on December 17, 2013, 12:30:35 PM
Quote from: hakos on December 15, 2013, 01:50:25 PM
Great, seems everything is ready for another exciting season.

Kvasilad, I have some problems playing in the next few days but my vacation starts on wednesday so from that day I can play any time.

/hakos

Hi, sorry I'm a bit late to the party here, but can we do Saturday? Unexpectedly busy week for me, this.

Saturday might work out. I think I need to attend my mothers birthday party on saturday afternoon/evening but if we can play early in the day it should work fine.

/hakos

Pretty sure I can play around 1200.

Ok, saturday, 12:00 it is

/hakos

J-Reedy

Quote from: Barmution on December 16, 2013, 11:47:10 PM

PS: Didn't see any BBMan league so the match is preliminarily uploaded to the "publique" league.

I created the S14 season into BBM but couldn't figure out if I can move the match to the S14. Could you try if you can do it?

J-Reedy

OK, the official necromantic mini-league champion of the regular season has been decided:

This was a bit of a necromantic chess match, that is, both coaches moved their players into contact, started hitting and waited for something to happen. Nothing happened until the third turn, when the first armor break was scored and one of Wolf-Whistlers' zombie was stunned. However, this was soon followed by an unlucky break for a Silver Hunter wight who stumbled down from the force of his own blow, which opened up a chance for the Whistlers to get the ball-carrying dog to safety from one edge of the field to another and remove two Hunters from the pitch, one by crowd surfing and another by a good old honest KO. Then came the second unlucky happenstance for the Hunters, a missed dodge by a ghoul, which gave the two dogs of the Whistlers an open lane to goal line. They proceeded to a scoring distance with one turn remaining and waited for the Hunters' dogs to come take the ball away. That they did but then the blitzing Hunter dog slipped and Whistlers got a chance to score by just picking up the ball and going for it, it being the end zone. That chance realized, so the first half ended 1-0 after a brief intermission where three Whistler zombies were brutally gang-beaten on the line of scrimmage.

Second half saw three hot-spots forming on the field and the ball-carrying Hunters' ghoul slowly advancing to scoring distance. Whistlers' side-stepping dog and rookie ghoul were badly hurt during this drive but masterfully lucky even-strength blocking by the Whistlers kept their defence in the game. But alas, the equalizing TD was finally scored after Hunters ghoul broke out, managed to stay on his/her (I mean how can you tell?) while a Whistler ghoul tried to hit on him/her and then ran for TD after a Hunter dog took down the defender.

Third turn saw a minor mishap on the Silver Hunters' setup which together with a three-hits-three-downs combo on the front line gave a Whistler ghoul a dodging route and a Whistler wight a blitzing route to a scoring distance on the Hunters' side of the field while the remaining Whistler dog secured the ball. Silver Hunters quickly took down the ghoul and marked the wight with four players. However, the wight proved to be extremely agile (isn't agile a synonym for lucky?) and managed to dodge and gfi to the endzone. All that was then needed was for the ball-carrying dog to make a single gfi run and long throw (5+) the ball to the wight for a score. That he did, and the wight caught the ball.

This was a very even match where I felt I was much luckier than The Golden Arrow. He had two unlucky breaks with the dice that opened up chances for me while I had no really bad dice incidents  and then was the long toss at the end. So a draw would've been a much more fair result considering what events of the game.

Lars

Quote from: Luiggi on December 15, 2013, 11:03:40 PM
Here we go again! Chaos and then chaos dwarves, what a welcoming party :P

Lars, my best times this week are Tuesday and Thursday between 20.15 and 21.00 gmt+1. Tell me if that works for you.

sorry for the late answer but

Thursday(today) 21.00  gmt+1 will work good for me

/Lars

Luiggi

Ok, that'll work. See you later.

Luiggi

Incredible match between the Chaotic Dudes and Ratdonald's. The rats manage to snach victory from what was looking like certain defeat.

With the help of a wizard, I stole the ball on a -3d block (Lars hit Both Down instead of Attacker Down, shit happens) and scored an early TD. However, the chaos side had time to react and scored the equalizer, taking advantage of a mistake I made (basically, making a 75% roll to try and blitz the carrier before putting the defenders between him in case it failed). With open ground to run to, he scored in turn 8. 1-1. I had time to set up a 1 turner thanks to a quick snap, but I got double skulls in the first roll.

I received and was countered by a Perfect Defence, along with some bad dice (both 1d6 and in the blocking department). I quickly burnt the rerolls and I lost the ball in my backfield. When it seemed the chaos side would score, good rolls came back and I managed to blitz the carrier and get the ball, pass it over a few chaos warriors and make a reception near the halfway-line. The poor rat was alone and was promptly sent to the hospital for his boldness. The Chaotic Dudes recovered the ball yet again, but they were blitzed! Still, the bounce ended up among other beastmen and one of them could pick it up and run away, trying to solo the game. With no rerolls left, a gutter runner managed to dodge 3 times and pow the carrier, picking the ball up with 2 GFI. With 3 beastmen on him, and standing on his own end-zone, the GR managed to avoid the hits and proceeded to dodge away, pass the ball to a linerat, who handed it off to a gutter runner in scoring position... for the touchdown. End-zone to end-zone in just a single turn of super luck, that compensated BY FAR my second half mess. That sequence (counting the two turns, and on 1d6 alone) was 4+ 3+ 2+ (with dodge), 5+ (block), 2+ 2+ 2+, 3+ 2+ (with dodge), 2+ 3+, 3+, 2+ (with dodge). Samba says that has a 3 % chance of happening... once in a lifetime!

In the final 2 turns, the Chaotic Dudes invaded the opposition's backfield and ran for it. With no cover, the carrier was knocked down near the sidelines. After a failed dodge to secure the ball, it ended up bouncing off-field, to be tossed inbound right in the hands of the MINOTAUR, who caught it. That was the worse possible outcome, since the match ended with the beast going Wild before attempting a pass or hand-off.

All in all, a game with lots of ups and downs, with my rats showing indestructible armor most of the turns, and confirming that they are capable of the worst and the best.

Sorry to Lars for all my endless whining (even I got tired of myself, yuck!) and good luck the rest of the season.

Gnaarkill

Hey guys!

Gnaarkill is back, and urges some blood bowl action! :)
So nice to see that the league is still kickin'! I have had alot to do in RL but things are finally starting to settle down and my sparetime is finally showing up and so is my itching nerve for some fine blood bowl. ;D

From what i understand, season 14 has just begun. But i just wanted to say that im very intrested in joining you guys again for season 15, if that is a possibility? I wish all of you guys good luck in S14 and hope i will see you in S15 so i can get my ass kicked again. ;)
I will be following the 14th season so i can apply for the 15th as soon as the application window opens.

Merry X-mas to you all!

/Gnaarkill

Lars

The more the merrier welcome back

hakos

Hi Gnaarkill,

nice to see you back again, I'm sure there will be a place for you in season 15. Gurgeh have promised to join then as well so we might have a big season. Wonder if it would be possible to get Mr B back as well?

Also, season 15 will be for low level teams (TV<1300) so I think there will be a lot of new teams then. Looking forward to that.

/hakos

tags

Quote from: Gnaarkill on December 21, 2013, 12:15:24 PM
Hey guys!

Gnaarkill is back, and urges some blood bowl action! :)
So nice to see that the league is still kickin'! I have had alot to do in RL but things are finally starting to settle down and my sparetime is finally showing up and so is my itching nerve for some fine blood bowl. ;D

From what i understand, season 14 has just begun. But i just wanted to say that im very intrested in joining you guys again for season 15, if that is a possibility? I wish all of you guys good luck in S14 and hope i will see you in S15 so i can get my ass kicked again. ;)
I will be following the 14th season so i can apply for the 15th as soon as the application window opens.

Merry X-mas to you all!

/Gnaarkill

Good news, welcome back! Too bad you just missed the start of this season, but I guess it's not that long until next one. I think we're averaging less than one week per match day nowadays?

tags

Well, that was a tough match.

Getingarna starts receiving, and The Partly Animals set up a pretty classic elfy defence, except that it is disrupted by several good moves by Hakos. Turn 6 it's make-or-break, as I can see that they cannot be contained any longer. I'm looking for a way to leap into the cage to get a 1D block, but the positioning is too good with too much guard. Oh well, leap in with a wardancer and -2D blitz it is. And amazingly, I pull out two defender stumbles (hakos had mercifully put the ball in the hands of a guy with neither block nor dodge). Getingarnas backfield is pretty empty, and I'm able to push the carrier towards a corner where I have the majority of positions, and I'm also helped by a beautiful bounce. After that incredibly lucky turn, I have two turns to run it back for a touchdown, which is relatively uneventful. This really was the ballgame right here.

I receive in the 2nd half, and have 11 wood elves on the field. Not really a lot you can do to stop that. WE up by 2 in turn 10.

Now, next Getingarna possession is something else. At first it looks like he's going to have another horrible run, because he fails the pick-up. But my turn starts out with double skulls re-rolled to push, and on my next 2D block, I go down. That was pretty much my turn. It does of course turn ugly, as I have a lot of elves in contact, and a couple of KO's follow. Hakos is in a pretty good position, except his carrier is all alone in the backfield, and by mistake probably, within range of the woodies. Sure enough, an easy dodge for a line-elf to get the assist, and a simple leap for a wardancer... aaaand I forgot to blitz first. So in desperation, I try to pull the same stunt with my other WD, but she fails the GFI. Oh well, my backfield is pretty clear, so Getingarna scores without further ado.

At this point, only a kick-off event could really change the game, but it was perfect weather, so the score remained at The Partly Animals 2 - 1 Getingarna.

An exciting match that could have gone either way. The first half should, Nuffle willing, have ended 1-0 to Hakos, but I guess we've all had those wardancer moments. On the other hand, if I hadn't forgotten to blitz the carrier on the third possession, that would probably have been an elven ball close to the endzone.

So thanks for the match, great fun to have ag4 again! :)

hakos

Quote from: kvasilad on December 21, 2013, 02:04:52 PM
Oh well, leap in with a wardancer and -2D blitz it is. And amazingly, I pull out two defender stumbles (hakos had mercifully put the ball in the hands of a guy with neither block or dodge). Getingarnas backfield is pretty empty, and I'm able to push the carrier towards a corner wher I have the majority of positions, and I'm also helped by a beautiful bounce.

Good report, describes the match well.

About my choice of ball carrier, that was very concsious of me. I have no players with dodge except the catcher but you have tackle anyway so it does not matter. Also, I really wanted the ball to be with a guy with sure hands to negate your strip ball. I could have used my other thrower to get one with block but I decided before the match to take the chance with my AG4 thrower instead. Would prefer to skill him up. And as it turned out, it didn't matter since you got 2 defender down for me to choose from.

I thought my positioning was good, you had to take that -2D block and get good bounces, which you did. Not much I can do after that.

And a full elven team in second half after more or less only pushes in the first half from me sealed the deal (the only elven injury came in turn 15 I think).

Anyway, it was an even match, and then it is the small things that matters. Good game and good luck in the future Kvasilad. I will cheer for you from now on :)

/hakos

tags

I'm surprised to see the dice were so even, including block dice. Perception as one is playing is certainly different from seeing the cold hard stats.

Armour breaks was clearly a problem though.

Luiggi

Quote from: kvasilad on December 21, 2013, 11:55:54 PM
I'm surprised to see the dice were so even, including block dice. Perception as one is playing is certainly different from seeing the cold hard stats.

The thing is that those stats are not that accurate in terms of actual roll outcomes. If you make 2 2d block rolls and end up with Pow-Skull   Pow-skull, the stats will show the same than if you rolled Skull-skull   pow-pow. The results are quite different yet the dice were "the same".

The "cold hard stats" don't take that sort of thing into account. The same can be said about 1d rolls, some are more important than others... if only the key rolls fail, that's shitty luck, and that won't show up as such in BBM.

tags

Quote from: Luiggi on December 22, 2013, 12:07:07 AM
Quote from: kvasilad on December 21, 2013, 11:55:54 PM

The thing is that those stats are not that accurate in terms of actual roll outcomes. If you make 2 2d block rolls and end up with Pow-Skull   Pow-skull, the stats will show the same than if you rolled Skull-skull   pow-pow. The results are quite different yet the dice were "the same".

Well, sure, that's a good point, but percentage of success rolls is also there (and even), which is a reasonable indicator as long as most blocks were 2D. MOST were :)

Quote from: Luiggi on December 22, 2013, 12:07:07 AM
The "cold hard stats" don't take that sort of thing into account. The same can be said about 1d rolls, some are more important than others... if only the key rolls fail, that's shitty luck, and that won't show up as such in BBM.

Of course, that is always true. And as I said, I had one incredibly lucky turn in stealing the ball in turn 6, which had some unlikely rolls that were probably more important than all of the 5 previous turns put together.