S14 - Match Day 4

Started by J-Reedy, December 15, 2013, 01:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barmution

Unnecessarily trying to hand-off to a player in 2 TZs is kind of pushing it IMHO...
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

tags

Quote from: Barmution on January 08, 2014, 06:39:02 PM
Unnecessarily trying to hand-off to a player in 2 TZs is kind of pushing it IMHO...

I know that was a risky move, and maybe I could have been more cautious, but that was brought on by the treeman failure blocking. I never would have planned for that, but seeing as I basically wasted my first turn against PD and had my line pretty trapped, I felt that leaping over the D-line that was bunched at the LOS was probably my best shot to score. That flank also had the less mobile players for the most part.

I felt that as I had been contained at the line, with most of my players trapped, being cautious with the ball while being undermanned would put me in a very difficult position to break through. Maybe I was wrong though. Either way, that was definitely not my plan A.

Barmution

Would've been better to keep the ball on the carrying WD and dodge away players to screen her or sideline cage her, then leap away to hopefully score next turn. Easier to see when one's spectating, tho. I probably would've done something even more risky as I can't seem to keep my cool w Elves... ;)
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Luiggi

Woah. Incredible match between dark elves and skaven. The two past results were 3-3, so this promised to be an exciting touchdown frenzy.

As usual, skaven scored really fast but the dark elves retaliated with a very nicely elaborated touchdown, involving hand-offs, passes and great catches. They also dominated the physical game: they broke the rat's armor like butter! As a consequence, first a linerat died, then a niggled linerat got niggled again, and will probably retire.

With 1-1, the rats struck again with another quick offence, and then managed to hold off the elves. The result was 2-1 at half time.

Elves received and set up another good offence down a flank, but the rats stopped them and forced them to hand the ball off to a slow lineman. He tried to outran the rats on his own, but he was caught up and knocked out! When the rats took the ball and set up their counter-attack, they failed an easy hand-off and gave the elves a chance to score. They skillfully covered the carrier, letting turns pass and knocking out a few more rats. Forcing a tie was the best option, so they could not give the skaven more than 1 turn to score. 2-2.

Only one of the 5 KO'd rats recovered, so it was 10 vs 6. The defence set up nicely to cover his backfield in the event of a one turner... however, it was not enough. A quick snap result allowed a gutter runner to earn that extra yard needed to threaten the rival's end zone. With a push, he was in scoring range. The thrower picked it up, passed the ball and the gutter runner ran along the sideline, dodge twice, went for it twice, and scored! 3-2 for the rats, when both coaches were already settling for a draw.

---

All in all, a very entertaining match, packed with action, skulls, injuries and a surprising outcome. Good luck in the future to equilibri, I kinda feel like I stole a point from him, but I guess that's Bloodbowl sometimes.

hakos

WoW, nice to get a one turn touchdown.

And very nice write up from J-Reedy as well.

hakos

And the final match of the day is played. [edit: just realized this is not true, waiting eagerly on Barmution & TGA...]

It started bad but ended well in this grudge match. Which means that me and Lars now have 4 victories each against one another, plus one draw. It was totally worth the blood bath which ended in a dead player and the -1 AG player, both for me.

So, the dudes started the offence but first blood was for me when I managed to badly hurt his Minotaur quite early. After that it went downhill. It felt that he badly hurted me almost by will, one player got removed every single turn. Including my best blitzer. One lineman died early and I decided to save my apothecary. Not long after I was quite happy for that when one of my blitzers got -1 ST. However the apothecary could only save his strength by lowering his agility instead. Ok, better than nothing. I guess one problem from my side was that I allowed him to play his game by being close together in one place and by constantly putting my players in close contact with his to avoid him running closer to my end zone. On the other hand, I stopped him from scoring. So first half ended in 0-0 but with me having 4 BH and 1 dead player.

Second half did not start much better. He got a Blitz. Fortunately he got to aggressive and then I was allowed to start play, my ogre managed to BH one of his Chaos warrior and push a way through his line. Then my thrower got the ball, passed it to my catcher who got it and then pushed as far away into his side as possible. Which was actually so far that the cahos could not block him, only mark him with one guy. That guy was blocked away and I could finish my 2 turn touchdown. 1-0. And 9-9 in players.

The Dude guys quickly got the ball and turned all their players to one side. I rushed there to try and stop him. He then rushed to the other side and I rushed after him. He turned back to the original side, but after all this running around the ball carrier was suddenly almost without protection. One block with my blitzer and then the ogre could Blitz the ball carrier. And hallelujah, the ball bounced well. I could pick it up with my AG 4 thrower and get him into the chaos half of the field. And with some nice dodges I also managed to build a cage around him. He was slow and could not reach my cage with more than 3 guys so next turn I could hand over the ball to a catcher and run out of his reach. Scored in turned 15. 2-0.

All in all, quite an even match. Too many human injuries in the first half, and too many RR for the chaos in the second half. So it evened out. I think the key factor was that Lars felt a little bit overconfident (probably due to all the injuries + the blitz) so he never built a single cage in the entire game, which allowed me to get the ball from him in both drive 1 and drive 3.

/hakos

Barmution

Another rough match for the Mad Science Fair sees them go 1-2 down to Golden's Necro:

1st half was a bit ridiculous w Golden getting away with a bunch of stuff to steal the ball with his ag5 Wight and even getting a free TD in the 2nd half thanks to a PI didn't help as Golden played well and got the critical dice he needed. Thanks for the match, Golden!

The Golden Arrow

Thanks for the game Barm :)

Got back some of the bad rolls I've suffered earlier this season and except for some bad dodges my players actually did what they were supposed to this game.

hakos

What does "PI" mean?

/hakos

Luiggi

I'd say Pitch Invasion. Never heard of that acronym before, though, did you just invent it, Barm? :D

The Golden Arrow

That's what it means and congrats on the invention Barm :P

Barmution

Hurr hurr, I'm a jeaniuz.

Yup, Pitch Invasion.