Play Offs - Semifinals

Started by The Golden Arrow, May 11, 2014, 11:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barmution

Quote from: hakos on May 19, 2014, 10:23:41 AM
I was quite fascinated by Barmutions play since it is VERY different from how I play elves so it gave me some things to think about. In my humble opinion barm played a high risk / high reward game which failed due to dices but it still was very impressive to watch. I actually groaned loudly then Luiggi intercepted the ball that very well could have the changed the match completely.

/hakos
The high risk/high reward only came into play when I was out of other options as I continually had 2-3 of my players stunned at any given time and thus couldn't muster a column defense. Then Luiggi started to get more KOs and cas to boot. Dodging into 3 TZ with Dodge is 55% likely to succeed and since he had a ball-carrier wo Block that's a 50% knock down chance with a decent chance of the ball spilling outside the cage to boot. That interception came as the turd nugget topping on a shit sundae as Nuffle handed me no less than 3 dub skulls to Luiggi's none and 2 snake-eye dodges while Luiggi during the final turns of the 1st half was doing short passes and ag3 reception and dodges wo RRs like it wasn't even a thing.

I don't mind getting bashed to bits because that's what av7 is supposed to do. What I DO mind is getting outdiced in every fucking vital instance the entire fucking match because it makes a mockery of positioning and risk management and it showcases how retarded this game is at it's worst. Like yatzee with a hint of chess with the being good at chess part being about as important as a monkey knowing how to operate a nuclear submarine.

Now I'm not claiming that Luiggi played poorly, he played very well as he always does. I'm just saying that playing this game is not fun for me when every important move I make get shot down in flames by Nuffle while my opponent gets away scot free with everything. At some point I just have to accept that BB is like this - you just can't expect this not to happen. Lately I've been having a lot of these type of games, being both the Nuffled part and the part that can capitalize on everything going crap for his opponent. I'm not able to enjoy any of those types of match. I want a game where you match wits and skill and the ability to predict probabilities and likely outcomes. Some people just want to move pieces, hit stuff and see what happens. BB at its best can make both types of people enjoy it, BB at its worst at least makes me wish that I didn't waste my time on it.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

hakos

Quote from: The Golden Arrow on May 19, 2014, 12:06:50 PM
Yeah I could play today. I'm really tired after the weekend though but that's only good for you I guess ;). Let's say 19.00 now but I might need to change it (will tell you here if that's the case).

Ok, then I will leave work shortly and prepare for the game.

/hakos

The Golden Arrow

The Golden Arrow

hakos

Great, I was just gonna ask you to start later myself...

19:30 might be even better from my point of view...

/hakos

The Golden Arrow

hakos

aargh, forgot about diving tackle in the last turn, should have blitzed the skink first, h-e

Luiggi

Quote from: hakos on May 19, 2014, 09:21:19 PM
aargh, forgot about diving tackle in the last turn, should have blitzed the skink first, h-e

Heh, I noticed, I just finished watching the game and I think you overlooked Diving Tackle and Prehensile Tail. It was fun to watch though.

hakos

Good that we could give the audience value for their money (time?)

Barmution

Yeah, it was a good match to watch, a bit cringe inducing when Hakos didn't notice the Diving Tackle but at 0 RRs his chances were slim to win it on overtime. Well played by both of you, guys :). And gratz to TGA and Luiggi who now have to give us a reasonably worthy finals. Eyes on the prize, lads!
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Luiggi

Quote from: Barmution on May 20, 2014, 09:06:58 AM
Yeah, it was a good match to watch, a bit cringe inducing when Hakos didn't notice the Diving Tackle but at 0 RRs his chances were slim to win it on overtime. Well played by both of you, guys :). And gratz to TGA and Luiggi who now have to give us a reasonably worthy finals. Eyes on the prize, lads!

We gave you 24 turns 3 seasons ago and I hope that the match will be as interesting as that one was. Only this time I'm the mutant!

Shall we schedule here or wait for the Final thread?

J-Reedy

Quote from: Barmution on May 19, 2014, 01:07:10 PM
Now I'm not claiming that Luiggi played poorly, he played very well as he always does. I'm just saying that playing this game is not fun for me when every important move I make get shot down in flames by Nuffle while my opponent gets away scot free with everything. At some point I just have to accept that BB is like this - you just can't expect this not to happen. Lately I've been having a lot of these type of games, being both the Nuffled part and the part that can capitalize on everything going crap for his opponent. I'm not able to enjoy any of those types of match. I want a game where you match wits and skill and the ability to predict probabilities and likely outcomes. Some people just want to move pieces, hit stuff and see what happens. BB at its best can make both types of people enjoy it, BB at its worst at least makes me wish that I didn't waste my time on it.

I symphatize completely with you, Barm. I used to get extremely frustrated with BB until I realized that you can have superior team and superiorly l33t skillz and still lose because at the end, it's up to the dice. When the teams are even and coaches are at similar skill levels, the basically the deciding factor will be who rolls the better (or crappier) dice at critical moments. I also think that this computer version of the game actually makes things more random and frustrating because when you're playing the board game with real dice, you actually feel more like in control when you're actually rolling the dice yourself. After I accepted that, I just started going for the more roleplaying kind of gaming with the little stories I like to write. I DO still get frustrated when Nuffle starts smacking my players into the turf but a lot less now than two decades ago when I started playing the game.

Hope you get over the frustration, it would be swell to see you in next season.

hakos

Quote from: Barmution on May 20, 2014, 09:06:58 AM

Agree, even if I had noticed the diving tackle I would have needed to blitz away the skink, dodge, pick up and when win in 4 turns with 0 RR vs 2 RR with the Lizards as receiving. So it was probably his match anyway. But still, it hurts to forget about it.

/Hakos

Luiggi

Quote from: J-Reedy on May 20, 2014, 09:40:42 AM
Quote from: Barmution on May 19, 2014, 01:07:10 PM

I symphatize completely with you, Barm. I used to get extremely frustrated with BB until I realized that you can have superior team and superiorly l33t skillz and still lose because at the end, it's up to the dice. When the teams are even and coaches are at similar skill levels, the basically the deciding factor will be who rolls the better (or crappier) dice at critical moments. I also think that this computer version of the game actually makes things more random and frustrating because when you're playing the board game with real dice, you actually feel more like in control when you're actually rolling the dice yourself. After I accepted that, I just started going for the more roleplaying kind of gaming with the little stories I like to write. I DO still get frustrated when Nuffle starts smacking my players into the turf but a lot less now than two decades ago when I started playing the game.

Hope you get over the frustration, it would be swell to see you in next season.

I couldn't agree more with J-Reedy. I've had the same feeling when things went bad, and surprisingly, I don't consider I am enjoying this game any more with my current luck trend than in any other season with "regular" luck. Actually, I really enjoy tighter and "fairer" games even if it means losing, than stomping the opponent with awesome dice. After all, and especially in such a friendly league, it's all about having fun (for both players). I don't really feel comfortable when my opponent struggles all game long, the same way it happens when I struggle. I completely understand that fun can be ruined by shitty dice and especially in a long streak of bad luck or, in this case, a silly "curse" with me and play-offs. So as others have mentioned, I hope you are still around next season (I won't, so the curse might get lifted!).

PS: I don't know if you've played goblins before, but playing them has helped me a lot to get a better state of mind when it comes to this game... kind of like therapy. Must be because winning or losing doesn't really matter for those critters and most games are crazy as hell.

PS 2: Thanks all who congratulated us, we hope we can give you an entertaining final! Reaching it is already an achievement for my Chaos side, so win or lose I'll be very happy with this season.