Season 18 Signup - new or low TV teams

Started by J-Reedy, November 24, 2014, 01:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Reedy

Quote from: Gnaarkill on December 04, 2014, 12:33:05 PM
CEO Gnaarkill hereby assigns the Ogre Team - Ogre Kingdoms Wrestling Federation (OKWF) to the Norsca Union League.

Hmm.... Chief Executing Ogre?

Very nice write-up, Gnaarkill, it's always nice to read your texts!

J-Reedy

All righty, as the S17 Finals will be played today (7.12.), I guess we can declare Monday December 15th as the preliminary kick-off date for season 18. We'll get the league set up early next week after the final and everybody should get their team in by Sunday the 14th. But let's not set the date in stone, it's December and folks might be running errands for Sandy Claws, so we'll be flexible with the dates if nescessary.

Right now we have 11 sign-ups but we haven't still heard about Mueller or Gurgeh so it could be that we get to 12 or more. I'll also message all registered members a reminder about new season tomorrow.

And finally, about my team. I think I'll be playing with a race that I've only played one half and that was my first ever learning game of Blood Bowl. I've never liked this race much but they have one strength that I'm looking for, so after numerous seasons of av 7 teams I'm going for the high armor and taking... the orcs. So if nobody else will be taking the orcs, the Da Beatmores led by the Fab Four will make their debut into NUL.

Here's the sign-up list once again so that people won't have to go to the first page of thread to check it:
1. Kvasilad - The Phin Phighters (Lizardmen)
2. Equilibri - World of Cheese (Skaven)
3. J-Reedy - Da Beatmores (Orcs) - might change if somebody else takes the orcs (as I'm a proponent for diversity with the teams)
4. Mr B - ? (Vampires)
5. The Golden Arrow - ? (Dark Elfs maybe)
6. Kezerk - Kauppaopiston Opet (Vampires)
7. Gnaarkill - Ogre Kingdoms Wrestling Federation (Ogre)
8. Barmution - The Emperor's New Boots (Human)
9. Hakos - FC Excelsior (High Elfs)
10. Lars - ? (Chaos Dwarfs)
11. Luiggi - ? (Goblins)
12. Muller71 - Beerbelly (Dwarfs)
13. ... your name and team here! ...

muller71

I will join with  dwarfs, name BEERBELLY.

tags

Wow, this is shaping up to be one of the biggest NUL seasons ever ;D

Oh, and good luck with the orcs. I have to say that after 3 seasons, they are my least favourite race I've ever played in Blood Bowl. Probably just me not understanding how to use them effectively, though.

Luiggi

Quote from: kvasilad on December 07, 2014, 11:08:08 AM
Wow, this is shaping up to be one of the biggest NUL seasons ever ;D

Oh, and good luck with the orcs. I have to say that after 3 seasons, they are my least favourite race I've ever played in Blood Bowl. Probably just me not understanding how to use them effectively, though.

Orcz rulez! They are my race of choice :)

I might resurrect Orkitis in a couple of seasons when TV gets higher (gobbos life expectancy is rather low, moreso with dwarves around). They are the most average roster you'll find (iirc, only normal rolls, I guess that compensates my skaven and chaos monstruosities of late :D). Good thing is that orcs always perform, they have very solid skill choices without needing doubles or stats (they're always welcome though).

J-Reedy

Just constructed the first draft of Da Beatmores roster. I really haven't given these guys much thought as I've had an aversion against them but really seem to be very average as Luiggi said. Blitzers and their progression looks like the key factor. Lots of options for starging roster, but I think I'm going to go for 4+4 blitzers/bobs with 3 rerolls without apo. It's curious that it looks like these guys really don't seem to need linemen so much and I'm even giving though to a starting roster with troll and bunch of gobbos instead of linos. But that might be too risky.

One question about your opinion on the skill progression, Luiggi/Kvasilad, if you don't mind. Looking at the overall team skill set, I'm getting the feeling that guard might be a good choice as a first skill for BOBs instead of block. Or does that slow their proggression down too much in your experience? When I've played against orcs bobs have most of time seemed to be more like roadblocks than serious threat, so I'm thinking guard could be more usefull for them to support the blitzers.

Kezerk

As a Dwarf coach I would be more concerned about Block than Guard as I almost always chose Guard as the first skill for my Longbeards. That'll counter the Orcs' guard, but Block will negate the "Both fall down, except for me" mantra I like as a Dwarf. And I almost always target the BOBs with my Troll Slayers so the STR difference will be negated by that 84% of the time.

- Kez.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you.

tags

Quote from: J-Reedy on December 07, 2014, 12:12:28 PM
Just constructed the first draft of Da Beatmores roster. I really haven't given these guys much thought as I've had an aversion against them but really seem to be very average as Luiggi said. Blitzers and their progression looks like the key factor. Lots of options for starging roster, but I think I'm going to go for 4+4 blitzers/bobs with 3 rerolls without apo. It's curious that it looks like these guys really don't seem to need linemen so much and I'm even giving though to a starting roster with troll and bunch of gobbos instead of linos. But that might be too risky.

One question about your opinion on the skill progression, Luiggi/Kvasilad, if you don't mind. Looking at the overall team skill set, I'm getting the feeling that guard might be a good choice as a first skill for BOBs instead of block. Or does that slow their proggression down too much in your experience? When I've played against orcs bobs have most of time seemed to be more like roadblocks than serious threat, so I'm thinking guard could be more usefull for them to support the blitzers.

You probably want to take advice from Luiggi and not me, seeing as he actually wins with these guys, but at least learn from my mistakes: Do NOT pick guard as first skill on BoB's. I did that quite a lot, and I regretted it as the team progressed. AV9 doesn't help you stay upright, just usually in the game. Block helps you stay up, which is the most important thing.

hakos

FC Excelsior (High Elf) ready to join NUL

Luiggi

I think kvasilad has a point on Block as first skill for BOBs. IMO they really are the strongest pieces for orcs since they can tie up so many opposing players with their 4 STR and being blockless is one of their big weaknesses (makes rolling 1 dice against them worthwhile with a 50% KD chance).

Given a league with rookie rosters, BOBs shouldn't need guard too early to outbash rivals (or at least fight equally). If lower STR rival players mark them, they're gonna get smacked by BOBs next turn. If they have Block, that means more chances of knocking down and getting cas, so they get SPP. Guard won't give you as many SPP and BOBs really need to hit lvl 3 to make a BIG difference for a very small TV increase. I agree they are great roadblocks but I wouldn't neglect their bashing power... they can get so many favorable dice that they'll rack up casualties, and you want your first LOS hit to be big without devoting some of your Blitzers to the LOS... and that's what BOBs are for :)

Once they all have Block, I generally split Guard and MB so I end up with 2 Block + Guard and 2 Block + MB, to dish out some damage. Generally the MB guys level up faster and can get Guard at lvl 4 while the others catch up. Plan changes a bit in case of doubles or +STR. I like to give one of them dodge if I get the chance for increased annoyance to the opposition (there are not many 4 STR dudes with Tackle).

If you want Guard (and trust me, with orcs you WANT GUARD), 1 or 2 Blitzers with it should be enough at first because they have good mobility (for orcs, at least) and can help out in melees alongside the BOBs.

As far as the Troll goes, personally I'm not a very big fan of him due to his unreliability. Sometimes you might even be tempted to misplace your other players to get the +2 on Really Stupid rolls. And unlike Wild Animal, he will lose his precious Tackle Zones on a bad roll, leaving you exposed. Generally you will outstrengthen most teams and he becomes a TV bloat and a liability. Linemen on the other hand are great for fouling and as fodder for opposing big guys.
However, he is a hell of a roadblock, once you get him Stand Firm and Guard, along with Regen, he will be able to limit the opposition's offensive choices. The other bonus is the possibility of a 1 turner, it's up to personal preference to consider it worth it or not.

Of course this is just my personal experience, this is what has worked for me but it doesn't mean it's the "right way to go".

Kezerk

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you.

J-Reedy

Opinions much appreciated Luiggi, Kvasi and Kez. Yeah, block may be the safer route to go. Of course all this is speculation, it all depends on the so many factors like schedule and rolls but I'm guessing block is the way to go with basic rolls.

BTW, "Kauppapiston Opet", that's "Business Institute Teachers" for all you not familiar with that beautiful language called Finnish.

--------------------------------------------
OFFICIAL BULLETIN

ALL RIGHT FOLKS! Season 17 is now officially over and I kicked all those bloated teams from the Nul: Feeder league. So you can start putting in your fresh rookie teams, the password is the familiar "campnul". The league is now 12 teams but we can expand that if nescessary so all new and oldcomers are still welcome!

The deadline for signing in the teams will be Sunday the 14th as we'll be aiming to kick-off on the 15th.

Lars

Gnaarkill

Quote from: J-Reedy on December 05, 2014, 10:26:43 PM
Hmm.... Chief Executing Ogre?

Very nice write-up, Gnaarkill, it's always nice to read your texts!

Hehe! You bet! 8)

Thank you J-R, i'm learning from the master ;D

Mr B

Dark Souls  II just joined, as I finished the game on PS3 I'd like to contribute to this "fangtastic" game!