Streaming games for enjoyment of all

Started by Snyto, March 21, 2016, 12:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snyto

Good day my brethren
This was the most appropriate board I could find for this question but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'll keep this short and sweet and this should be seen more as a poll into interest and a suggestion rather than a "mid or I feed"-argument.

In another league that I participate in we try to stream games via twitch so that other members in the league can participate in the action if they wish whenever matches are underway. This is accomplished with a shared twitch account and one of the players are in charge of channeling the stream from Cabalvision to our side of the internet.
Typically we use Open Broadcast Software (which I have a setup guide ready for if needed) and it has worked out pretty well for us. As for displaying the ingame action we've found that terminating the opacity on the roll log so that the background is black and to keep the window predominantly on the rolls tab has allowed viewers to follow the action and repercussions to actions taken ingame in detail. Sometimes lag in the stream has shown itself but can in most cases be solved by using an intermediary agent like multitwitch.tv since we seldom get a major amount of viewers so our prio in the twitch CDN is presumed to be along the lines of "lol, scrubs, here have a few kbps".

So in essence, would this be something that the members of NUL would be interested to participate in to bring the glory of Nuffle to internet citizens everywhere?

/Snyto

tags

It sounds like a good idea, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to streaming games. I think as long as it's an "opt-in" feature that's not absolutely required, it can't hurt to give it a shot at least. If it is an extra thing that everyone has to set up, I'm more skeptical. Is this necessarily streamed from one of the active players, or could it be from a spectator perspective?

Snyto

Quote from: kvasilad on March 21, 2016, 12:48:28 PM
It sounds like a good idea, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to streaming games. I think as long as it's an "opt-in" feature that's not absolutely required, it can't hurt to give it a shot at least. If it is an extra thing that everyone has to set up, I'm more skeptical. Is this necessarily streamed from one of the active players, or could it be from a spectator perspective?

My intention would that this of course is an opt-in for those inclined. The one who does the streaming has to setup OBS, create a profile for BB and then it's go time. After that the maintenance is mostly stop/start stream. Afaik BB doesn't have support for observers ingame so the streaming would have to be done by one of the active players. If you can have observers they should in theory be able to stream the game. The way I have it setup currently is that OBS only streams video stuff from BB.exe but picks up sound from ie Skype as well so that you can hear eventual player commentary if they're skyping during the match.
Another few things to keep in mind: OBS does require ~3Mbps upstream to send the stream in a good quality to twitch and if you use a shared account only one match can be streamed simultaneously (though I doubt the latter will be a big problem in NUL atm).

I'd be happy to try and get a stream setup (on a personal account for now) for my future games so you can get a feel for how it looks if you wish.

hakos

Hi

I like the idea of watching other matches in NUL. In fact I have done it several times already since BB does support it.

So, my question would be, why use external streaming like twitch when we have internal streaming in the game client?

The only drawback for the game client is that you must watch while it is happening. I guess a stream can be saved and viewed later on for those interested. For example if the match happened to be extra exciting.

/hakos