Season 30 Match Day 1

Started by tags, April 17, 2018, 10:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnaarkill

Quote from: NapoleonBlown-apart on April 22, 2018, 02:29:49 PM
Yeah, I'll try to get this fixed. Thanks for being so understanding, and see you on Tuesday. :)

Hey Napoleon!

How's it going? Did you manage to get your game to start?
Now it's my turn to have technical issues :(
My internet at home is out until tomorrow (25th). So i guess we have to postpone once again, very sorry for that!

Im going away on the weekend so my only options this week are wednesday and thursday. If you can any of these days do you have any prefered time?

/Gnaar

NapoleonBlown-apart

Quote from: Gnaarkill on April 24, 2018, 10:52:18 AM
Quote from: NapoleonBlown-apart on April 22, 2018, 02:29:49 PM
Yeah, I'll try to get this fixed. Thanks for being so understanding, and see you on Tuesday. :)

Hey Napoleon!

How's it going? Did you manage to get your game to start?
Now it's my turn to have technical issues :(
My internet at home is out until tomorrow (25th). So i guess we have to postpone once again, very sorry for that!

Im going away on the weekend so my only options this week are wednesday and thursday. If you can any of these days do you have any prefered time?

/Gnaar

Hello, I have managed to get my game working. It turned out that Bitdefender was causing it to crash, for some reason, so I just have to turn off Bitdefender protection while playing the game.

Anyway, NP about postphoning the game, Thursday will be fine at pretty much any time after 16:00 CEST, but 21:00 would be a good time if that works for you.

hakos

Quote from: kvasilad on April 22, 2018, 10:54:26 PM
Quote from: hakos on April 22, 2018, 09:48:48 PM
Kvasilad: Tried to report with 0.9.1 but failed and the program hanged. Then I tried to install 1.02 and succeeded after the installer program had to kill the old bb2replaye process. But could not start bb2replayer at all, after some frustrated clicks my computer was completely locked, could not even press ctrl-alt-del. After the hard reboot the file system was corrupt so chkdsk was needed to be able to start again. After starting I removed 5 old versions of bb2replayer plus the new one and then installed 1.02 again. But it still does not start. The process start and just eats more and more memory but nothing happens. Any advice?

Oh wow, first of all sorry, that is obviously quite far from the intended behaviour. To separate a couple of things:
* No idea why the old one hung (0.9.1). It completely locked up? I've not experienced that before. Did it show the main window first? Did you get a status message in the bottom row?
* As for removing several old versions... yeah, that's a confirmed bug in my installer from old versions. Anything from 1.x onwards should remove old versions, but the old ones didn't. This is, however, quite benign, and I'm quite sure it is not related to hangs/crashes.
* 1.0.2: Define "does not start". Does it not even show a single window? I'm having huge problems explaining that behaviour, as the main window should be displayed before any heavy lifting is done. The 1.x versions were the first to introduce multi-threaded processing, so it is not unthinkable there may be bugs that consume a lot of memory in some corner cases. But if the program did not start and thus produced no logs at all, I'm a bit stumped. If you're willing to try some debugging, I can of course build some extra debug-enabled executables that start printing stuff to console before anything else happens.

Hi

Tried again today. Deinstalled, removed all leftover files manually, restarted, downloaded and installed again. Did not work. When I try to start nothing happens, no window pop's up, no nothing.

The only way I can see that something is happening is by checking in the task manager. BB2Replayer process is running, consumes 1-10% cpu and memory consumption quickly grows. After 30 seconds it is about 6M RAM then it grows slower but continues to grow.

Don't know what more to do. I did check registry suing regedit after deinstalling and could see that there are some BB2replayer leftovers in the registry even after deinstalling but currently I do not dare to change anything in the registry. I do not know it well enough.

I'm willing to try a new debug version.

/hakos

tags

Quote from: hakos on April 24, 2018, 08:58:37 PM
Hi

Tried again today. Deinstalled, removed all leftover files manually, restarted, downloaded and installed again. Did not work. When I try to start nothing happens, no window pop's up, no nothing.

The only way I can see that something is happening is by checking in the task manager. BB2Replayer process is running, consumes 1-10% cpu and memory consumption quickly grows. After 30 seconds it is about 6M RAM then it grows slower but continues to grow.

Don't know what more to do. I did check registry suing regedit after deinstalling and could see that there are some BB2replayer leftovers in the registry even after deinstalling but currently I do not dare to change anything in the registry. I do not know it well enough.

I'm willing to try a new debug version.

/hakos

Hi Hakos,

First of all, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with debugging here.

I've created a debug build here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8io4b62hapw7n1/BB2Replayer.exe?dl=0
This is a drop-in replacement BB2Replayer.exe, the installation is typically in C:\Program Files (x86)\BB2Replayer, so just copy it and overwrite the existing one.

It's important that the file is NOT renamed from BB2Replayer.exe, or it won't start properly. Alternatively, you can create a renamed copy, but then you must also create a renamed copy of BB2Replayer.exe.config matching the naming pattern.

This version will open up a console window first of all, and will log step-by-step what it does during startup, with several added sleeps to make sure it's easy to see where things go wrong.

Ideally, it should look something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4czyb868w86bun/debug_build.png?dl=0

I have two theories so far, but it's not guaranteed to be either one of them:

1) It could be that the logical limit for max processing threads has been set too high. I'm basing that on a dynamic value that I read from the environment, but I see from the code that I just accept whatever I read with no sanity checks. If that somehow is too high or undefined, it might run into trouble. I've introduced a check for that in this version, so if that was a problem, this might actually solve it.

2) There's a definite chance that something with your old database and/or settings has some unforeseen compatibility issues. You could try removing your <user>\Documents\bb2replayer directory, which contains a settings file, a binary database (data\db.bin), and a copy of all BB2 Replayer replay files you have retrieved. However, if you do that, I ask that you make a copy of it first, or simply just rename it to something else, as it may be hard to reproduce this behaviour. Note that in any case, you probably do not need to delete the various League* sub-directories inside Documents\bb2replayer\data\, as these are just raw unprocessed copies of the BB2 replay files, and it will take some time to re-fetch them from the server. Oh, and I should probably have removed this folder in uninstall, but I'm pretty sure I've forgotten about that.

Gnaarkill

Quote from: NapoleonBlown-apart on April 24, 2018, 02:58:40 PM

Hello, I have managed to get my game working. It turned out that Bitdefender was causing it to crash, for some reason, so I just have to turn off Bitdefender protection while playing the game.

Anyway, NP about postphoning the game, Thursday will be fine at pretty much any time after 16:00 CEST, but 21:00 would be a good time if that works for you.

Cool Napoleon!
Ok, so thursday @21 it is! See you then m8! ;D

/Gnaarkill

hakos

Quote from: kvasilad on April 25, 2018, 11:22:11 AM
I've created a debug build here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8io4b62hapw7n1/BB2Replayer.exe?dl=0

Last 3 printouts are:
Opening database
FileList.Open()
OpenDatabase()

then nothing more happens

/hakos

Gnaarkill

Ok, so last match of opening day has been played and ended in a victory for the smelly ones ;D

The Catchers had a real good D going in the first half though the slowly and steadily advancing goo machince of Nurgle managed to finally break through the Cossack defence in the very last round of the first half. Second half was also very even but the rotters never gave an opening for the Catchers to score. Though Napoleon suffered from some bad luck in the end and some crucial dices made it even harder to score. In the last round of the second half Nurgies managed to take back the ball for a chance to score a second time. But why score when you can dodge and pass aimless into the air? A move also known as a "brain fart"...

Well played Napoleon!

Now, let's head for day 2 guys! 8)

tags

Quote from: hakos on April 26, 2018, 07:00:37 PM
Quote from: kvasilad on April 25, 2018, 11:22:11 AM

Last 3 printouts are:
Opening database
FileList.Open()
OpenDatabase()

then nothing more happens

/hakos

Does this still happen after you've removed/renamed documents/bb2replayer/data/db.bin? If not, I'd really like a copy of that db.bin file to see if I can detect errors cleanly.

I've built a new debug exe with more prints inside OpenDatabase():
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8io4b62hapw7n1/BB2Replayer.exe?dl=0

I'm using a third-party library for serialization/deserialization, hope it's not inside that code, as it's sorta outside my control.

hakos

Quote from: kvasilad on April 26, 2018, 11:57:05 PM
Does this still happen after you've removed/renamed documents/bb2replayer/data/db.bin? If not, I'd really like a copy of that db.bin file to see if I can detect errors cleanly.

I'm using a third-party library for serialization/deserialization, hope it's not inside that code, as it's sorta outside my control.

Hi

Yes, I get the same problem even after removing everything in documents/bb2replayer.

Now the four last lines are:
No database found with the name C:\Users\hakos\Documents\bb2replayer\data\db.version, creating one from scratch.
Verifying
Importing data dir
Importing bb2 dir

Update: One idea came up. What if a file in bb2 dir got corrupt during the failed repporting (like crashing with an open file). I had not opened bb2 after last match. So I did open BB2 again to see if that perhaps could repair the files in bb2dir. And it actually seems to have worked. Now I get stuck in Another Place.

New last three printouts:
PopulateObserveableLeagues()
Attempting server Connection
Synchronizing with server

When it hangs just as Before.

/hakos

tags

Quote from: hakos on April 27, 2018, 07:15:14 PM
Quote from: kvasilad on April 26, 2018, 11:57:05 PM

Hi

Yes, I get the same problem even after removing everything in documents/bb2replayer.

Now the four last lines are:
No database found with the name C:\Users\hakos\Documents\bb2replayer\data\db.version, creating one from scratch.
Verifying
Importing data dir
Importing bb2 dir

Update: One idea came up. What if a file in bb2 dir got corrupt during the failed repporting (like crashing with an open file). I had not opened bb2 after last match. So I did open BB2 again to see if that perhaps could repair the files in bb2dir. And it actually seems to have worked. Now I get stuck in Another Place.

New last three printouts:
PopulateObserveableLeagues()
Attempting server Connection
Synchronizing with server

When it hangs just as Before.

/hakos

Wow, hmm. That does point to my own parsing code I assume, which is a good thing, as it should be possible to hunt the bug down. It's very strange though, I don't understand how you could be the only one seeing this. That is, I understand it if it's one of your local replays that somehow triggered it, but that doesn't really seem to be the case now. I'm pretty stumped, really wish I could reproduce this locally.

I've built yet another debug executable with more detailed prints after server sync: