Upgrade discussion and hints

Started by J-Reedy, December 08, 2018, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Reedy

As the subject says, I'm upgrading the forum this weekend, so the forum may will go down. Hopefully it won't stay down too long...

J-Reedy

Upgrade to latest version done, php support should now be OK. Forum looking bit wonky, will try to fix all as it was.

J-Reedy

Seems that there are issues with the old "Football" theme that was designed for the 1.1 version of the Forum. Current version 2.0.15 doesn't seem to support that layout very well. I've switched the theme to the basic layout and will check if we can get the old layout back somehow.

If anyone is interested, here are the verified themes for our current forum version, it may be that we'll have to go with one of these:
=91;start=0]https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=search;version[]=91;start=0

J-Reedy out for the day, will work on the forum more on tomorrow on Sunday the 9th.

tags

Good job getting the forum upgraded and keeping the data, that's the most important and urgent part done anyway :)

As for themes, it's not a huge deal for me to keep the old one, but I'd very much like something that has light text on dark background at least. The default theme is way too bright!

Something like this would work for example: https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2065

Probably better themes out there though, as that one seems a bit boring perhaps.

EDIT: Also, I'm never going to get used to reading from the bottom and up :)

J-Reedy

You can change the order of the posts inside boards from oldest to newest or newest to oldest as follows:
1. Click Profile from the top menu bar.
2. Hover over "Modify Profile" on top of Summary headline and click "Look and Layout".
3. Remove checkmark from "Show most recent posts at the top" to show messages from oldest to newest.
4. Click "Change Profile" on bottom right.

I've added an option for users to hide boards. You can choose to ignore boards as follows:
1. Click Profile from the top menu bar.
2. Hover over "Modify Profile" on top of Summary headline and click "Ignore Boards Options".
3. Choose the checkboxes of those boards you don't want to see in the Forum list. The text box under "Profile" tells you what ignoring a board does.
4. Click "Change Profile" on bottom right.

I'd really like to move the Info Center on the bottom to the top, so everyone would see new posts first thing they visit the forum, but I didn't find a suitable mod for that with a quick search. I'll look into it when I have some more time.

The forum has been changed to light on dark. If you prefer black text on white background, let me know and I can set it so that every user can select a theme of their own.

Add: Hmm, the ignoring boards option doesn't seem to hide them from the main view as I had hoped. I'll probably move the boards of the old Leagues to the Archive at some point so that the forum doesn't look so crowded.

Any ideas about modifications you would like to see are welcome, I'm a bit set on my ways, so I really miss the old layout, but you might have other ideas, so let me know.

tags

Great work and good tips! :)

I'm a bit nostalgic for the old layout as well, but just do as you see fit as far as I'm concerned.

Barmution

Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for the night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

J-Reedy

Has anyone else run into problem while logging in using the id and password fields at the top left? I seem to get login error consistently when using them.
If you have trouble with that login, use the login link above these fields (in the "Login or register" sentence).

Boards of the old leagues have been moved into Archives.