Playoffs

Started by J-Reedy, September 17, 2022, 04:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Reedy

And it is on!

Only the bravest, dirtiest, luckiest, blockiest, blitziest, dodgiest, sneakiest and blood-thirstiest have made it this far. It is time to decide the champion of the 47th NUL season!

The pairings are as follows:

Steel of Sweden coached by Hakos vs. Old Skool Orks III coached by Atte
Kamprads Classic coached by Lazer vs. Non-Fungible Team coached by TAGS

Good luck to you all and congratulations!

League has been created in-game, just head on in. Remember that the league can't be started before all teams have joined.

J-Reedy

All the teams are in and the schedule is created in-game. So play on!

hakos

WoW, looks like I won the regular season. That I did not expect.

Congratulations to Atte who joins the Playoff for the first time (I think).

I can play whenever this weekend. What do you think Atte, can you find a time to settle our Semi-Final?

/hakos

tags

Well... this was one of those matches that make you feel bad about winning. It was a very brutal affair, Nuffle had stacked all His chips on my side, and there was just not much Lars could've done against that. In a word: unfair.

Even so, thanks for the match Lars, and lot of respect to you for keeping a polite and civil tone throughout that. You are a better man than I.

atte1979

Quote from: hakos on September 23, 2022, 05:27:11 PMWoW, looks like I won the regular season. That I did not expect.

Congratulations to Atte who joins the Playoff for the first time (I think).

I can play whenever this weekend. What do you think Atte, can you find a time to settle our Semi-Final?

/hakos
Hello Hakos.

The Orks are bruised and beat down, but ready to take on more punishment. I'm available for the rest of the weekend, pretty much anytime is fine with me as long as I get to work on Monday morning.

Let me know when you want to play, I'll bring the sheep to the slaughter.

Atte

hakos

Full strength Bretonnians versus heavily damaged Orks in the semi-finals.

Orks were clearly the underdog in this match but decided to go for it. By emptying their coffers they managed to secure two star players. Both Ripper and Varag Ghoul-chewer were convinced to join the green side.

Unfortunately Varag were killed in the first hit in the very first turn for the Bretonnians. Although rumours say that he was seen after the game and that he was just there to take the money and get out of there as soon as he could, having better things to do. Well, no matter what, he was gone for the rest of the game which gave the Bretonnians a clear edge.

The orks had won the toss and decided to attack. They tried to attack in the middle, to the left and to the right. Nothing seemed to work. After six turns they had only managed to move 3 squares into the Bretonnian part of the field. To add even more insult to the cause, all peasants were still on the field taunting the greenskins with their inability to hit.

After a total of 8 turns the first half ended 0-0 with 3 players out on both sides. So in one way it was still even.

But sweltering heat said something else. At the start of second half only 9 orks had energy left to face the full Bretonnian team. Bretonnians were on the attack and promply knocked down the entire LOS and started to swarm into the ork half. The ball was well secured behind a line of steel.

It was at this point that the morale of the Orks started to drop significantly and they abandoned their previous disciplined play style and the most experienced blitzers tried to do individual heoric attempts to get to the ball. But all they accomplished was to trip over some legs and fall down. Which opened up even more holes in the orks defence. In turn 11 the ball was only 2 squares from the ork end zone and a touch down could happen whenever.

The ork morale got even worse, they did some more attempts but in turn 14 they finally gave up and refused to play any more. Both teams were just waiting for the referee to end the game.

Two things more happened in the game. In turn 16 the Bretonnians score the 1-0 goal to proceed to the final. By this time the audience was in an uproar and disgusted by the lack of blood and actions they started to throw some heavy rocks. One of them took out Ripper. That was enough for the referee to blow his whistle to signal end of the game.

Thanks for the game Atte. I fully understand that you got a bit frustrated in second half. The dices were not with you today. You did the right moves by going all-in, it is semi-final after all. And you played very well in the first half. I had no chance to get the ball and if I had just failed once with my dices there would have been a hole in my line for you to score through. Giving a very different game. But my dices were really good. Better luck in next season.

/hakos

tags

All right Hakos, looks like it's us lucky two meeting in the grand finale!

First of all, congratulations for winning the regular season, well done.

Both our previous encounters have resulted in a narrow 2-1 win for the Non-Fungies, can I make it a hattrick? Let's hope Nuffle leaves us an even playing field this time! :D

Perfect time for me would be this Thursday at 20, but I can start later. Otherwise, I think my weekend is quite open.

hakos

yeah, not looking forward to meet your all block, all murdering team.

But yeah, I am happy to be in the final.

No time during weekday evenings, I think our game has to wait until weekend but basically the entire weekend is open as it looks right now. Just propose a time. During weekend I will also check Discord regularly.

/hakos

tags

Quote from: hakos on September 27, 2022, 08:24:04 PMyeah, not looking forward to meet your all block, all murdering team.

No time during weekday evenings, I think our game has to wait until weekend but basically the entire weekend is open as it looks right now. Just propose a time. During weekend I will also check Discord regularly.

/hakos

It is true, my team has been especially murderous as of late. But with all AV7, they are of course also quite murderable.

I hereby propose Saturday at 13:00!

hakos

Quote from: tags on September 27, 2022, 08:30:50 PM
Quote from: hakos on September 27, 2022, 08:24:04 PMyeah, not looking forward to meet your all block, all murdering team.

/hakos

It is true, my team has been especially murderous as of late. But with all AV7, they are of course also quite murderable.

Counterproposal: If we could start at 13:30 that would be perfect for me. /hakos

tags

Quote from: hakos on September 28, 2022, 09:50:19 PM
Quote from: tags on September 27, 2022, 08:30:50 PM

/hakos

Counterproposal: If we could start at 13:30 that would be perfect for me. /hakos

Deal!

tags

The final match has been played, and it had many twists and turns.

Steel of Sweden won the toss and chose to defer. They also gained +1 F.A.M.E. modifier, although you wouldn't know it to look at the kick-off events.

The first drive saw NFT explode off the line and push forward immediately. Norse managed to get the ball deep, but were forced to score early (in turn 4) due to some hefty gang fouling against a berserker.

Steel of Sweden sets up to receive on their turn 4, so still plenty of time to equalize. Non-fungies got Perfect Defence, so they loaded the line up a bit more. Very first block on the line: Skull+Skull -> RR -> Skull+Skull. Not the start of the drive Hakos wanted there for sure. Norse rushed forwards and started swarming the ball, but this came at a cost. Guard lineman got injured and removed from the game, and worse, Hopper the berserker got fouled with -AV. The apo had already been spent, so this likely spelled the end for Hopper's long an illustrious career. Some might say he had it coming, since he had piled on and badly hurt SoS' +ST blitzer on the previous turn. Steel of Sweden did re-gain control of the pigskin, but were ultimately not able to move it far towards the endzone before the half-time whistle blew.

Second half starts, Bretonnians to receive. Blitz! Once again, Norse are aggressive, blitzes off a flanking peasant with KO, and rushes for the ball in the backfield while also populating the line. Steel of Sweden successfully retains control of the ball, and starts pushing it up the flank. They do lose it at one point, but are able to pick it up again and escape with it. The best Non-fungies can do is force a score with two turns remaining. Oh, that, and seriously racking up the casualty count all of a sudden.

Norse to receive, Hakos gets an extra RR as a kick-off event, two turns to go, one of my two runners is in the dugout, Bretonnian kicker places the kickoff _perfectly_ in the far corner of the pitch. I'm thinking this is quite definitely overtime, but I do rush through the middle and put as many Norse within theoretical scoring range as possible. I finish by picking up the ball with my AG4 runner, using absolutely all of my movement for turn 15.

At this point, Hakos still has an unused Wizard, and I realize that he could use that to blast 4 of the 5 guys I have within theoretical scoring range. He does choose not to use it, seeing as I would need some decent rolls to make a long pass happen.

As it turns out, my AG4 runner was up for the task of the 4+ pass, avoiding the 2+ intercept. An unlikely receiver, my dirty player managed the 3+ catch, handing it off to a tackle lineman, who also managed his 3+ catch and a 2+ GFI for the win!

I was not sure about the odds at the time (hard to calculate on the fly), but it turns out that this sequence of events had 43.21% chance of success (with the RR I had), so it was not _that_ unlikely.

All in all, Nuffle helped me out at a couple of really crucial points, that just managed to secure me the win.

Thanks for the match Hakos, good luck next season!

hakos

Thanks for the game. It was both fun and frustrating at the same time.

Congratulations to the Victory and thus winning the season, well deserved, you played really well.

In hindsight, I forgot that your runner had AG4. I should have used my lightning bolt on your runner in turn 16 to increase the odds of overtime.

/hakos

J-Reedy

Congrats TAGS-man! And condolonses to Hakos, looks like a close gaem.

I'll update the winners list and do some overhaul to the site after I start my summer vacation next weekend.

atte1979

Congratulations to Tags on the championship, cu guys next season.